Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The Recipe Box: White Yeast Bread

White Yeast Bread
From the recipe box of MrsB/Esther

I baked bread the other day using a two loaf recipe my sister sent me.

Instead of making two loaves, I made one loaf and a pan of rolls. After baking, they looked like a magazine picture and tasted as good.

A few days before I had experienced a miserable failure with a recipe for cinnamon-raisin bread. Using the mixer to knead the dough was a technique in bread making that I had never used before and I hadn't used enough flour. The concoction I ended up with had to be tossed.

Now that I've had some success, I'll try the raisin bread recipes again. Using the mixer is a lot less work than the old fashioned way of kneading dough on a floured board.

Ingredients:

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/2cup warm water
2 tablespoons melted shortening
1tsp salt
2cups warm water
5 ¾ to 6 ½ cups all purpose flour
Note: milk instead of water may be used.
If powdered milk is used mix with flour.

Preparation:

  1. Soften yeast in ½ cup warm water.
  2. Using a mixer, keep adding flour until dough is smooth and elastic.
  3. Place dough in a greased bowl, and grease top of dough.
    Let rise until doubled in bulk.
  4. Punch down and shape into loaves. Recipe makes two loaves.
  5. Bake @ 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: using the mixer eliminates kneading the dough on a floured board.


Finished Bread
Finished Bread

No comments: