Wednesday, June 19, 2013

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

A. Nonymus

Our new garden venture this season: The Magnificent Potato

I planted two kinds of potatoes: large Russet “bakers” from Idaho and multi colored “fingerling” gourmet potatoes which were kindly provided by my Chef friend. The potatoes started on a whim, when I found some sprouted baking potatoes in the bottom of the bag, and seemed to have started growing strong and thriving shoots.

These volunteers were some especially beautiful large and tasty bakers, Idaho Russets from Sam's Club. Sis suggested that I just cut out the eyes 'n shoots and stick 'em in dirt and see what happens. I found some old pots, filled 'em with garden soil and plunked in the sprouted eyes, and much to my genuine surprise, they sent shoots up quickly and soon became quite bushy.

In short order, due to this sudden success, I had to transplant them from their starter pots to large tree sized pots. I was pleased to find they transplanted quite well, and the bushy leaves and stalks are now quite tall and robust. I have reasonable hope for a few nice Idaho Russets at the end of the growing cycle.

Nothing beats a great baked potato. I'm already planning to make the garlic, basil, and chive butters in anticipation … Yum Yum.

Transplant Potato
Transplant Potato

No comments: