Saturday, June 01, 2013

Let me play among the stars

'Let me play among the stars' from the song, 'Fly Me To The Moon' has been running thru my mind since I started sewing diamonds for eight pointed star quilt tops. Three quilt tops to be precise.

This project came about in an interesting way. My sister Esther, mentioned that she had a large number of fabric diamonds cut out for eight pointed star quilt tops and asked if I would like some. Of course I said YES!

She mailed me enough cream colored diamonds to make 20 stars and enough diamonds in a beautiful rose color for 20 stars and enough in a lovely blue print fabric for 20 stars. She also cut out and mailed me the squares and triangles from fabrics she had on hand that goes nicely with each of the three star colors. Each star has to have 4 squares and 4 triangles to make a quilt block. It takes 20 blocks in rows of 4x5 make one double bed quilt top.

So you can see that I'll be playing among the stars for some time to come.

Esther is also sewing eight pointed stars for a quilt. We like to work on similar projects at the same time so we can compare notes in our computer chats. We live miles apart now, but in the past, we often working together on a quilt. Once we got our assembly line organized there was no stopping us as we took turns cutting out the pattern and running the sewing machine.

Sewing eight pointed stars can be tricky. All the center seams of the star must come to a point and the Y seams of the triangles must also match. If not sewn properly, there is a lot of ripping and re-sewing. I've had enough practice ripping in my life time, so I am being careful and sewing as precisely as I can.


Fly Me To The Moon
Fly Me To The Moon

No comments: