Saturday, August 07, 2021

Chapter 1 - Uncle Pat & the “Used Car Lot” by Anno Nymus 1 of 6

[Editor's Note: Who is Uncle Pat?

RobertD (Sr) was the spouse of Mrs. B.  Uncle Pat was the youngest brother of RobertD (Sr) and was a  brother-in-law to MrsB.  He was always known by his nickname: Uncle Pat, even though that was not his true name.  He was an uncle to KimB and RobertD (Jr). The brothers grew up in Pennsylvania. Uncle Pat moved to California.]

 

Chapter 1

 Uncle Pat's “Used Car Lot " 

Automotive Reflections on So Cal – 'back in the day' 

by Anno Nymus


*

Scoundrel-ism ?

*

Uncle Pat was a scoundrel ! In all fairness, a loveable, gregarious, and good hearted soul, but a scoundrel none the less ! His scoundrely-ness was fairly benign – no one ever got hurt, and it always worked out in the end 'somehow', but Pat was always ... 'working the odds', and 'sanding the edges' !

I only have wonderful memories of Uncle Pat – met him when I was 7 or so, visiting back east. He was dad's younger brother – in his mid twenties then – and according to grandad and grandma .. the 'wild one' ! I was looking forward to meeting him – Dad had often regaled me with stories of his escapades and high jinx growing up – he was my kind of guy !

From the very start, my connection with Pat started with, and thenceforth always involved, cars.

The first time I met Pat – was in Pennsylvania, where I was visiting my grandparents – his parents. I was about 7 or 8. He was about 25 ish - I had been very excited to meet my dads youngest brother, so planned to hang around him like a puppy dog.

He needed to watch me on the first day I arrived, but he also had to go pick up his new car parts from the body shop. He was having 'fender skirts' made and then installed. I was baffled .. skirts on a car !? 

He asked ..did I want to ride along ? .. d'oh !! .. after the wild stories .. of course !!!

Wow – we just met, and I got to ride in his new Ford! Pat was terrific – telling me all about the car .. what fender skirts* were. We talked sports and such. He quickly became a true dutch uncle .. taking me to the malt shop for a black n white shake later, and pretty much treating me like a younger brother ! This was looking good !

I was fascinated at the body shop. I had been around a lot of automotive shops – visiting mom's dad, and brothers (who were professional auto mechanics – and ran a big and popular Flying A Gas station ). The body shop was neat, and caught my interest.I was amazed at how they smoothed out the wrinkles n dents in steel, and made it look new again.

After the fender skirts were done to Pats satisfaction and installed, we went cruising' to show 'em off .. he drove around to some of his buddies houses .. and they all raved appropriately … … and then after that .. a malted at the Ice Cream Fountain with a real Soda Jerk!. Then we headed back. I was happy !

*

Fender skirts were all the rage in the early 50's - they streamlined the undercarriage line across the rear  wheels !



* * *

All photos: free, public domain, or by permission

No comments: