Wednesday, October 13, 2021

How Does Your Garden Grow?

KimB

How Does My Garden Grow? Hot, Dry and Red

When I planted the tomato seeds early this year, I didn't expect anything. It was an excercise in excerscise. Then the the plants produced seedlings and that was a happy surprise. The plants grew bigger and things looked hopeful.

  • Then came the heat.
  • Then came the fires.
  • Then came the draught.
Things didn't look promising at all.

We huddled up inside with the A/C on limited service; lots of trips to the fridge for water, ice tea, ice coffee and a blast of cold while the door was open, sneaking in maybe a few more seconds of cold while fiddling with the pitcher.

Outside was out of mind.

Then, I remembered I had the tomato plants on the side yard. They've been on auto-water-drip so I knew they had water but I figured they were just all dried up and dead from the heat. So I went out to see what sort of cleanup I was looking at

AND...

Here is what I found...

Harvest Tomatoes
Harvest Tomatoes




2 comments:

Michael Hausman said...

Nice to know Mother Nature has come through for you.

R Cane said...

...so thats where my tomatoes went !?!? lol .. I nurtured some fantastic heirloom seeds got 80 strong seedlings .. paid helper to transplant into main garden ... 80 seedlings 2 feet high .. lotsa flowers and the bees were happy ... bumper crop promising promising .. planning on the farmers market big sale .. then the gardener who does not speak english .. says weed-eat the garden ... I said yes .. just between the rows to keep the weeds down ... and went inside .. came out later to discover the ENTIRE GARDEN was weed-eaten FLAT !!! nary a tomato plant anywhere that wasn't in shreds .. !?!?
Great goin in Cali !!! Tejas was a tomato bust !!! altho the garden is really pretty - weed and tomato free .. !!!
GRATS AND WOOTS ON YOUR BOUNTY !!!