Monday, October 05, 2009

Food Bank Contributions

I have become acutely aware of the many families experiencing hard times as the country struggles to recover from the collapse of our financial system. Families are losing homes, jobs are being lost, employers are not hiring workers, and many are going out of business themselves.

In one of our Instant Message chats, I told my sister Esther about an interview I saw on CNN of a man desperately looking for work; his biggest worry was getting food for his family and he himself was hungry.

There must be many people in the same situation. Wishing we could help in some way, Esther and I decided to start using the money we planned to spend for Christmas presents and make donations to a food bank. We have told our children about our plan, and they too have decided to do the same.

This year, I would like to ask those who send me Christmas presents to make a food bank donation instead. It will be a holiday without presents ‘going to’ and ‘getting from’ but the holiday will still be cheerful knowing we have might have made a small difference in someone’s life.

There are many ways to contribute besides giving money and there are many worthy causes besides food banks. I encourage readers to make a special effort during this time of recession to help, be it a family member or a charity of their choice.

Editor's note: Here are some charities to consider:




























Charity NameWhat they do
Fisher Housespecializes in helping vets and their families
Feeding Americafood bank previous known as Second Harvest Food Bank
Just Giveclearing house for many worthy charities
Oxfam Americaoxfam's usa branch - works on world wide hunger
Heifer Internationalworks on world hunger by helping families raise animals that can be used for food and exchange


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea ... people helping people!

I needed similar help many years ago, on my pathway to eventual success, and I have never forgotten how much it meant to me.

Let me add that most churches or places of worship have 'Food Pantries' to help any folks or families in need, so don't forget your own place of worship for donations of food, and household items.

I have needed help from, and donated back to, over the years, to Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other such locally based social help organizations.

This year - with your suggestion, I too will be making my gifts this season as individual cash donations to my local food bank in the name of folks I was going to 'gift'. Most organizations will send a note to folks that 'a donation has been made in your name'.

What a selfless, giving - and much needed way to help in these terrible times.

Thank you, and God Bless!