Wednesday, October 28, 2009

At the Lake Part 6 - First Visitors

[note: This is an 8 part story written by my sister Esther.]

Our very first company to come was my Mom and Dad. They loved the place and Dad was so pleased to go fishing with Vernon. Mom and I went for a drive to show her we had an uptown and some marinas. We even went looking at fishing gear to see if she wanted to pick out some for her to use when she went fishing. They spent the weekend with us and we celebrated because the men had good luck fishing. Enough to have a good fish fry and some for them to take home and have in their freezer till Mickey or Jerry came back from their jobs on the oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico.

Then there was Mickey, Charles and Jerry to always come and go fishing with Vernon. Our trailer was small but it did sleep six. We gave the men our king size bed and we slept on the full size bed in the dinning room. Thank goodness we were able to eat outside on the patio looking towards the lake. We made the patio on the bluff, the highest part of our land. It was the best place to be to see the sun set. Other times, it was great to sit out there and wait till the morning sun rose. It was the big red shinning sun in all it’s glory as it came over the lake. I would look at it and wish I could have had some of Marion Elizabeth’s painting supplies and the knowledge of how to use them.


sunrise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lake was so beautiful and Vern was so gracious to all us Yankees :) He was a master fisherman and a great teacher. I remember once he took me on the lake and I couldn't catch at thing! He was so patient but finally he said "we better get some supper" and plop he dropped his line where I had and the fish just JUMPED into the boat!

Kim

Anonymous said...

I also can attest to Vern's super fishin' abiltiy! I was humbled by his catching a wopper of a big mouth bass on his first cast to the very spot I had been casting time after time!

another Yankee Vern took fishin'

Anonymous said...

Many a time I enjoyed eating the bass Vern had cought and frozen in milk cartons to bring us on his frequent visits to the family in Orange. We always had all we could eat and some would be left for Charles to eat cold in the evening when he took a break from reading his paperback whodunits
Mrs B