Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Horse Racing

Ben Hur Chariot Race
I watched the movie, Ben Hur for the nth time last night. The chariot race in this movie is awesome! The horses are beautiful and the camera shots of them are marvelous. I have no idea how the camera was rigged to get such incredible close ups of the horses as they raced.

The choreography of the accident scenes leave one stunned and gasping for breath as the chariots careen and break apart while the race continues at break neck speed. One couldn't help but wonder if any of the actors were injured or killed during filming.

The beauty of horses captivate us and they deserve the attention and adulation we lavish on them. As much as I like horses, I am a bit afraid of them. I admire jockeys who seem to be fearless as they sit on a postage stamp saddle and ride hell bent for leather in a race to the finish line.

Some race horses have become legends with books and movies about them. Their names spark memories of their exploits, Man o' War and Seabiscuit.

Seabiscuit with George Woolf Up
Man O'War

Most of my knowledge of horse racing comes from watching the Kentucky Derby on TV, which is to say I don't know very much. I just pick out a horse as they parade in front of the stands and root for it. If my selection wins, I begin to think I'm a good judge of horse flesh, but if my selection comes in last, I face reality and admit I was only guessing.


Seabiscuit vs. War Admiral - 1938 Match Race (Pimlico Special)

No comments: