Saturday, July 19, 2014

Current Reading

By the shores of Gitche Gumee
By the shining Big-Sea-Water

Stood the wigwam of Nokomis
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis

The Song of Hiawatha
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

One of my birthday presents is a collector's book: The Poetical Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, with Translations and Notes, published by Bell & Daldy, 1864 with 250 engravings.

Evangeline, and the Song of Hiawatha, two epics studied in high school, were delights to read again after these many years. I find the beauty of the poems enhanced by my maturity and travel experiences that was lacking in those school years. Reading the notes and explanations of the works is a fascinating read by itself.

Between the 728 pages of poems, songs, and sonnets in Longfellow's book, and the ebooks available for download to my digital reader, I'll have hours of reading pleasure.

No comments: