Friday, December 09, 2016

Seed garden

I've started a new avocado seed garden.  Avocadoes were on sale at the market for one dollar a bag, with 8 or 9 avocadoes in each.  Now I have enough guacamole to feed Cox's army, and enough seeds to start a small forest.  By spring the seeds should be rooted and I'll put them outdoors.  After trimming the stem back from time to time, they branch out into very pretty house plants.  I never know how many will root, but its a fun gardening project in the middle of winter.

My Christmas cactus is beginning to bloom.  The flowers are double with a second one shooting out from the center of the first.  Its a beautiful addition the holiday decorations.  One of the orchid plants that has been outdoors most of the year started to bloom and I brought it indoors to enjoy during the holidays.  It has a spray of 8 flowers in the shape of an exquisitely colored half-insect-half-butterfly that would fit in the palm of my hand.

Its such a busy time of the year, its nice to take a moment to experience the pleasure plants give us.  No wonder people started decorating trees with poems, and eventually, decorating them with holiday ornaments.   

No comments: