Saturday, May 13, 2017

My new pet

Its the first of its kind that I've acquired, and I have to learn how to care for it. Its a persnickety thing and very demanding. Its quite self sufficient if left to thrive on its own, but when taken in by a person and treated like a pet, it can require special treatment.

I had been wanting a pet for some time, but wanted one that be more fun to look at than one to walk and play with. I thought about getting a fish. Guppies are fun to watch when they have babies. At one time I had a gold fish I named George that I gave away when I moved out of state, but I wasn't really in the mood for a fish pet.

It wasn't until I watched a PBS nature program that helped me make up my mind. The program featured plants from around the world. Their diversity is amazing as is the ingenious ways plants have of propagating themselves. As the program went from displaying air plants to those living in swampy bog like conditions, I saw what I thought might be the perfect pet. Voila!

My new pet is a Venus Flytrap. In fact I have two. They are in tiny 2inch pots; each having numerous little traps or lips as they are called. I will take them outside with me when I sit out in the cool part of the day. If they don't feed themselves while they are outside, I will have to buy bugs from the pet store for them. In the meantime, the little pots are sitting in a tray of distilled water while I do more research to learn more about Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

[Editor's update 05/29/2017:
We finally got them to stand still long enough for a photo...]

Venus Flytrap Pets
Venus Flytrap Pets


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love your stories down here at the home ...

Take Venus Buggs .. she's following this story like a hawk .. claims she was quite the catch back in the day .. and she is a bit swampy .. always batting at flys and leaving puddles everywhere ..!?

Keep 'em coming .. we love'm !