Saturday, August 25, 2018

My song of the week

I, my son and a friend turned our conversation to recalling names of old-time country songs that we liked.  I mentioned the one about the Johnson Boys that ate peas with honey, they have done it all their life.  It makes the peas taste kind of funny, but it keeps them on the knife.  Several songs were mentioned, but my son mentioned one that I had not heard before, now its my song 'pick' for the week.

Give Me Forty Acres
 
It was his first trip to Boston in a big long diesel truck
It was his first trip to Boston , he was havin' lots of luck
But he was headed the wrong direction
down the one way street in town
And this is what he said when the
Police chased him down
Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around,
It's the easiest way
that I have found
Some guys can turn on a dime
 or turn it right downtown
But I need forty acres to turn this rig around
When he finally found where to unload
he had a dreadful shock
His trailer pointed toward the road
and his cab right to the dock
And as he looked around him through
The tears, he made this sound
Oh, give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around
And when he finally got it unloaded
He was glad to leave this town
He was feelin' fairly happy goin' back to Alabam
And up ahead he saw a sign you are northward bound
He said give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around
He was driving down the right lane
When ahead he saw a sign
He had to make a left turn, but he couldn't get in line
Now the tears were streaming down his cheeks
And the all heard him YELL
Give me forty sticks of dynamite and I'll blow this rig to hell 
 


No comments: