Wednesday, October 05, 2011

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

KimB

Well, the last of the summer veggies plants have hit the compost recycle bin and looking at 6 empty tubs just made my Work Ethic itch. So, I've planted a winter garden.

Winter might not be the best description though as the winters where I live are still short-sleeves and shorts weather – even in December you see people wearing short-sleeves, shorts and sandals. The mountains around us are the Sierra Nevadas and it looks like Switzerland up there with snow and skiing, but down in the valley, it'll be shorts and short-sleeves for many. So I figured, I'd give it a go and see what happens.

All the buckets are now planted and I have hopes for the following:
  • Turnips
  • Garlic
  • Carrots – 2 pots, one with Nantes regular orange carrots and the other a multicolored set of white, yellow, red and purple.
  • Beets – Dutch Baby Ball Beets and a multicolored set of candy striped, red and gold.
  • Potatoes – red and white (from our great harvest) and some dutch yellow ones.
So far, the carrots and turnips have sprouted and the garlic is just starting to come up too!


Turnips
Carrots

No comments: