Wednesday, July 18, 2012

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?


Mrs B

My gardening gene has prompted me to plant something so I've started propagating African violets from leaves. Besides germinating avocado seeds in water, I hope to be successful with mango seeds.

Years ago I watched Aunt Nettie plant the top of a pineapple, but I never thought of growing one myself. Seeing how easy it is in YouTube demonstrations, I plan on trying my luck growing one or two.

At one time I had carrot tops thriving in glasses of water on a kitchen shelf and I may start growing a carrot plant along side the avocado seeds. Propagating geraniums and chrysanthemums are also easy and fun to propagate.

I once attended an adult evening Botany lecture where we were shown how to clone ferns in water, but I'll not get around to cloning one since it seems my mission in life is saving the planet by germinating avocado seeds.

I hate to throw the seeds away when I make guacamole so I have a continuing supply of them, but I forget to keep the proper water level for germinating, consequently my stash of seedlings range from several to none.

[Editor's note: I had no idea you could plant a pineapple but you can! Here's a link to a site that tells you how to do it. How to plant a pineapple ]

Pineapple top can be used for planting
Pineapple top can be used for planting

No comments: