Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Memories of Iowa Falls by Richard

The past few days, I began thinking about our life in Iowa Falls Iowa, and recalled several good memories about the wonderful times we all shared which included the following:
  • I recall living in town in a two story home, and then moving to the country to a small farm the folks rented from Mr Brown.

  • It was really great to have our own garden and raise our own vegetables, which Mom use to feed us.

  • I can see Mom now, cooking on that wood burning stove and baking bread and cakes which we all enjoyed.

  • Can you see us all making ice cream on those hot summer days? I can.

  • I recall going to those country schools which were one room and one teacher, teaching all the grades.

  • We had to walk about a mile or so, and when it was time to go home, I was always hungry. So when we passed an apple orchard I would go over the fence to get an apple or two.

  • In the winter months we would each take a potato and put in the school furnace to have with our lunch.

  • I remember the swimming pool, which was a long walk from home. Jerry and I would go anyway. We didn't have the money to get in, so they let us to pull some weeds for access.

  • We moved back into town when Mr brown sold the property.

  • Things begin to change. The war came and all our lives changed also.

  • Marion and Adeline went into the service. Mom went away to work at a factory on the war effort. Dad stayed home to watch the younger children.

  • Then Mom and Dad went to California to visit Marion and Adeline and were so impressed with California, upon their return to Iowa Falls Iowa, they decided to move to California. Dad quit the Telephone Company. They packed up everything and we moved west.

I hope this note will help you also to recall some those fond memories we all shared.

[Editor's note: This story was written by Richard]

Apple Tree
Apple Tree

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I can smell the baked potatoes and taste the apples fresh off the tree!

KimB