Wednesday, March 20, 2013

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

Kim

The race is ON! Spring has sprung and the race to the first tomatoes is going at full speed.

I bought some more seeds that are special for container gardening and also some unusual seeds to try out. I bought some miniature eggplant, miniature bell peppers (yellow and red). I also bought some seeds for tomatoes that are red, orange or black. Plans are for more container zucchini and cucumbers too.

The miniature watermelons were not successful last year so I'm skipping those.

I've already planted multi-colored carrots and the seedlings have started to popping up. The taters are LOOOKING GOOOOOD after the winter too. I'm making notes to myself, to give them lots of fertilizer this year. I even got some fish emulsion liquid for later on.

I've started some of the more delicate seeds indoors using some plastic cold drink cups. First, I used an ice pick to punch some holes in the bottom for drainage.  I found that the ice pick holes are too small for the water to escape well, so I used some pruning shears to clip out a small triangle in the bottom on both sides of the cup.  You can just get the shears to catch on the bottom edge and it makes a good enough hole for the water to drain.

[note: The cut actually forms a diamond; the section on the side is a triangle and there is a matching triangle on the bottom of the cup from the snips.]

I wanted a gentle method of watering them. So, I took a plastic water bottle and punched 4 ice pick holes near the top to use. A gentle squeeze on the bottle and just enough water comes out.


Seedling Cups
Seedling Cups
Watering Bottle
Watering Bottle

No comments: