Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cream Puffs

I just ate a cream puff. I know.... it's heart attack food and a highway to heartburn, but I ate it anyway.

It has been years since I last ate one. In fact, I didn't know bakeries still made them considering they are such artery clogging food.

The first recipe my high school Home Economics class learned to made was cream puffs. When I got home from school in the afternoon, I practiced making the recipes I learned in class and cream puffs became a favorite after school snack for my brothers and sisters.

As the years passed, the recipe for making cream puffs got filed away and 'lost in the stacks'. Those delicious, creamy, light as a feather. vanilla fragrant cream puffs were only a distant memory. That is, until my two sisters, Adeline and Esther, and I visited our brother Jerry and his wife Barbara, a few years ago.

During this week long visit, we spent a lot of time reminiscing childhood memories and as a surprise, Jerry made cream puffs for us. The three of us were able to visit Jerry and Barbara again the following year and we demanded Jerry make cream puffs for us. Jerry's cream puffs became legend in our family stories.

Eating one brought back wonderful memories of sharing those happy days.

Cream Puff
Cream Puff

No comments: