Saturday, October 29, 2016

World Series

Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians are the teams playing this year. It has been 108 years since the Cubs made it to the Series and 68 years for the Indians. Of course there is lots of national interest, and truth be told, a wonderful break from the calamitous 24/7 hour presidential campaigns.

The song, 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game' was written by Jack Norworth and Albert von Tilzer, who had not seen a ball game prior to writing the song. Referred to as a Tin Pan Alley song because it was published by one of the popular music companies between New York's West 28th Street and 6th Ave, the area where the sound of so many cheap pianos being played sounded like the banging of pans.

The 1908 version is no longer sung, but the chorus is still popular and is traditionally sung during the middle of the 7th inning. Fans usually join in.

Chorus
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win its a shame.
For its one, two, three strikes you're out,
At the old ball game.

No comments: